Growth and Maturity are irritating as a... MF

Thoughts, rants, ravings, and annoyances

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Breaking Down.........
I've had my fair amount of work to do in the past few days and that's been a little hectic for me but I'm making it. What I'm dealing with right now is still trying to grapple with the victims from Hurricane Katrina and what to do to really help them. I haven't posted in a while and definitely not about Hurricane Katrina and how it's affecting the people on the Gulf Coast because I just didn't know what to say. I have had my fair share of issues in life as of late... some pretty major ones that are going to affect my life for a while but I feel absurd even complaining or worrying about my issues with what's going on with these people. It used to be that I would literally break into sobs almost everytime I watched the television coverage... especially if I'd see children or elderly suffering. I just couldn't take it.....I often come of as a hard a$$ but I'm so much more sensitive than people will ever know and it just hurt my soul to see people like this.
Well it happened again today. My friend Tina sent me copies of some of the pictures from New Orleans. She warned that they were graphic but I was not mentally or emotionally prepared for what I saw. As I'm typing my eyes are misting up. The way these people died is just inhumane. I've seen animals treated better and it breaks my heart to know that someone had to spend their last moments on this earth in so much pain and desperation. My heart aches for these departed souls and their families. I pray that they find some comfort in the arms of an angel......
My mood suddenly transforms from solemn to enraged.......When do we say enough!!!! When do we start to feel some compassion for these people and do more than give a one time donation or a couple of cases of water!!! I don't know what to do to help but I plan on volunteering with the Red Cross yet still I feel like this just isn't enough. There are poor people all over this country.... there are people who are just trying to make it. As I walk down the streets of Nashville in my tailored suit and pearls I see them everyday. There's a homeless woman who is one of the most articulate people that I've ever encountered and seeing her makes me want to cry. I give her money everytime she asks because I feel like I'd want someone to do the same for me. She hasn't always been homeless..... and it really is by the grace of God that I'm not in her shoes. I just don't know what it takes. What does it take to make some kind of sweeping changes so we don't have people in this country suffering. There are 37 million people below the poverty line yet I suspect that if you go to any city in this country you'll find people there with more money in their bank accounts than their next four generations of relatives could even hope to spend. Yes you deserve to keep your money and enjoy its benefits but damn--- can you help somebody, can you stop thinking about getting more, having more, spending more.... for 2.5 friggin seconds and just do something ... anything for somebody. The selfishness has got to end.... I don't know who is going to do it, how it's going to happen or what it's going to take but I can't stand it anymore. There's a fire in my soul.... it won't be extinguished until I can personally be a part of the solution.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Icey said…

    I am totally feeling your post today! I had to stop watching the Katrina coverage because I could not put into words my rage for those human beings treatment! It was especially heartbreaking seeing the children and elderly suffer. I just could nto take it anymore so I turned off the TV and did my part. I will continue to do my part because as much as I am dealing with now, it pales in comparison to what the people in the Gulf Coast region are going through.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Tazzee said…

    I too have been enraged, but nothing took me there as much as Oprah's shows on this issue. The sad part - I've tried to volunteer with the Red Cross numerous times only to be met with a bunch of mess. The first day, the roads were backed up to get to the facility and by the time I got in the parking lot I was told they were only taking volunteers with the proper volunteer ID. Since it was my first time, I didn't have it so I was sent home after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes. Then before I could go back, they closed that facility - so I signed up to work at another facility. Then I received an email that they didn't need anymore volunteers - only to watch the news this morning and hear them plea for volunteers because they have a lot of work to do.

    But you know what - I'm going to go back out there again this week. Maybe this time it will work.

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Icey said…

    I read on ajc that you passed the Bar

    CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU

     

Post a Comment

<< Home